Monday, June 9, 2008

Guilt

Before I start writing I want to talk about 2 Corinthians chapter 12. Paul’s thorn is such an interesting chapter. It tells us so much about God’s relationship with man. Yet there is so much mystery behind what Paul’s thorn was. I believe God intentionally kept what it was from us so that it could be something to fit everyone’s situation. There are so many ways this chapter can be preached and talked about. When I write, God gives me the verses to use. During one essay he gave me Paul’s thorn. I always study any verse I use to make sure the theology is correct. Well the bible does not explain what Paul’s thorn was. So I started studying commentaries and books about Paul. If you ever have lots of time on your hands and want to study some fascinating theories. I recommend Paul’s thorn. Every theory has verses that will support it. All of them have some wonderful lessons that can apply to this verse. Again I say, I believe God did this intentionally so that when we read this verse it will apply to our own personal needs and situation. Some possible suggestions are that Paul suffered from chronic malaria, migraines, poor eyesight, anger, temptation, and guilt. Keep in mind that when the word thorn is used in the bible it is either a barb on a vine or a stumbling block to keep us away from God.
Guilt
We all feel guilty at some time. We insulted a coworker or got rude with a clerk in a store. Maybe we said something hateful to a loved one. This guilt passes. Sometimes we may have to apologize to someone, but after we’ve thought about what we've done it passes. Sometimes there is something in our past. Some horrible secret Satan keeps bringing up to torment us and keep us from believing we deserve forgiveness. If you have confessed to God and asked for forgiveness. You should never worry about your past. You should never let guilt keep you from worshipping God. If someone points a finger at you and brings up your past. Look at them and say, “Yeah, me and God talked about that.” Acts 7:54-Acts 8:1 The first time we meet Paul he is a young man named Saul. He is holding the coats of the witnesses that are stoning another young man named Stephen. I can just picture him standing over Stephen’s bloody body and thinking “that’s what you deserve.” Saul went to the high priest and asked permission to go after all Christians. Next Jesus strikes him blind and he is converted Acts 9:1-19. He becomes one of the most passionate preachers around. Now imagine the guilt he felt when he realized the God he thought he was serving by persecuting Christians was the same God he was persecuting. (1 Corinthians 15:9-10) For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Imagine preaching to a crowd knowing that you had beaten and thrown in jail some that may be in this same crowd. God granted Paul grace and forgiveness. He grants us that same grace and forgiveness. While he might not take away the memory that leads to our guilt, He has forgiven us.
MSW
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: