Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Anniversary Prayer

Today is my fourteenth wedding anniversary. As I look back over the last fourteen years I can truly say God has blessed my fountain. I have had the pleasure of a loving doe, whom's love I will be lost in forever. (Proverbs 5:18-19) I look at what Paul says in Ephesians 5:25 and believe that this is the perfect example of what true marriage should be. Just as Christ loved the church and would die and sacrifice Himself for it, a man should love his wife and be willing to sacrifice for her.
In the apocryphical book Tobit. The angel Raphael tells Tobias about the woman (Sara) he is to marry "for she is appointed unto thee from the beginning" ( Tobit 6:17) I have always felt that Amy was the one God appointed to me from the beginning of time. I look at how we met, the way we came together, and the way we raise our family, and know that God knew that we would complete each other.
In the 1996 movie Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise tells Renée Zellweger "You complete me." It's hard to believe that Hollywood could get something so right, but they actually nailed God's plan for marriage on the head with that one. Look at Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. (KJV)
God wanted us to have someone with us. Someone to be a part of us. Someone we can confide in. Someone to share our life with us.
When God created the animals He formed each from the ground. (Genesis 2:19) They were each according to their kinds, but man was to be male and female. (Genesis 1:24, Genesis 1:27) Mankind was special. God could have done woman just like man and formed her from the ground and breathed life into her nostrils. (Genesis 2:7) He gave man a special gift though. He took one of Adams ribs and made Eve so that out of man came woman. (Genesis 2:21-23)
There is a special significance in this. When a man marries a woman they become one flesh. They are no longer two separate people but one individual in Christ. (Genesis 2:24) The woman completes the man. This is why marriage will always be one man and one woman.

and He also said: "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, man must not separate." Matthew 19:5-6 HCSB

Heavenly Father I praise You for the way Your creation works . How You gave man such a special place. Lord, not only were we created in Your image but You gave us a counterpart that would complete us. Lord I thank You for choosing Amy as my wife. Lord, I pray that You will help me to be the husband I should be. Lord I pray that my marriage will represent my Lord Jesus Christ's marriage to the church. Father I thank You for the blessings You pour out on my marriage and Lord, I ask that You continue to bless us . Father I thank You for the gift of my three children and Lord I pray that I will teach them in the way that they should go. Lord I pray that mine and Amy's marriage will be an example to them and that they will find the same happiness and joy in who You chose for them. Father I pray for those who have not found this same joy and that Lord You would call them and show them what you intended for them. Father I thank You for the fourteen years I have shared with Amy and pray that You will allow us many more. May I be found faithful. Amen
MSW

Amy, I love you!
Happy Anniversary!
Your husband Scott



Since the reference tool I use does not link to the Apocrypha I'm putting a link here for the KJV in pdf format for anyone who does not know what I'm referring to.

No comments: