Monday, January 26, 2009

Light in the Darkness

A friend came up this morning and told me I need to post something. Apparently I have been quiet for too long. I told him I’ve been too stressed to write lately. Let me just say I hope January is not what the rest of the year is going to be like for me. Twenty six days into the year and it seems like everything is crashing down. The last week of December my car broke down and it would be cheaper to replace it than to fix it. God came through and found a very affordable replacement for me, but the unexpected coming up with enough cash to replace a vehicle put a little strain (stress) on the finances.
I’m starting online classes. The last two weeks have been nothing but a big stressball as I tried finding out what books were needed, getting the cash to get them, and praying that they arrived in time for me to read them before the reading assignments were due. Then my DVD lectures didn’t arrive, so I have to get that handled. Plus worrying about how I’m going to do in school and how I’m going to balance time between family, work, school and church.
I had a lot of unexpected extra responsibilities come up at church and a strain in a close friendship at the same time. Needless to say the last three weeks have been hectic.
Now I’m done with my sob story and will move on to the important stuff. Where does Jesus fit into all this? As we go through our lives, many times we seem to get overwhelmed by the world. Jobs, school, family, hobbies even church and religion in itself will come between our time with Jesus. We have to remember that Jesus promised to take care of us. Matthew 6:26 ask us are we not more than the birds of the sky and our Lord takes care of them? If we seek first the kingdom of God, God will take care of everything else.(Matthew 6:33)
Yet when we feel that the sky is falling down on top of us, what can we do? As the stress has built up I have deepened my prayer life. As I talk to Jesus and give my burdens to Him, He reminds me of the many blessings he has given to me. The blessings always outnumber the trouble. Once you pray and thank God for all your blessings you realize the treasure you truly have. When you ask the Lord to help you through the problems you are facing, you feel relief knowing that He will live up to His promise to take care of you.
The other thing that has helped me is starting a very aggressive reading of the bible. Everyday as I read and study the bible God shows me something to help me. For example yesterday as I read 2 Samuel 22:29-37 God spoke to me and reminded me He was there and would never forsake me (Hebrews 13:5-6)
So hopefully I will be back to posting more regularly soon.
MSW

And I leave you with 2 Samuel 22:29-37

29 You are my lamp, O LORD;
the LORD turns my darkness into light.

30 With your help I can advance against a troop;
with my God I can scale a wall.

31 "As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

32 For who is God besides the LORD ?
And who is the Rock except our God?

33 It is God who arms me with strength
and makes my way perfect.

34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
he enables me to stand on the heights.

35 He trains my hands for battle;
my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

36 You give me your shield of victory;
you stoop down to make me great.

37 You broaden the path beneath me,
so that my ankles do not turn.

No comments: