Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Way,The Truth,The Life

I was preparing a lesson the other day from John 14:6 and it went in a direction I wasn’t expecting so I thought I’d share it. It seems I have seen the Trinity represented in several things I have studied lately and it also appeared to me that it was represented in John 14:6
It was suggested that instead of this being one edited for length post I post it in a series.

I want to start out by looking at where we are at before discussing the verses in John 14. Jesus has already entered Jerusalem and is at the last supper. He washes the disciples feet and informs them that one of them will betray him Judas leaves the room. Jesus tells His disciples that where He is going they cannot go. He tells Peter that he will deny Him. Jesus tells them that He is going to prepare a place for them and that they know the way to where He is going. Thomas asks how they can know the way, when they don’t know where he is going. During this dialogue Phillip asks Jesus to show them the Father.
Jesus replies to Philipp that anyone who has seen me has seen the father. Then Jesus asks “Don’t you know that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?”

John 14:5-7
"Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

John 14:9 b
Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
It is easy to see the father and the son in this dialogue but upon a closer inspection its easy to see the Father, Son, and Spirit.

First Let’s look at the statement I am the way. The way to what? The way to Heaven? Simply put, yes! But there is much more to be found in that phrase.
When Jacob was at Bethel he had a dream of a ladder. (Genesis 28:10-15) And this Ladder went up to Heaven. The angels ascended and descended on it. Jacob’s ladder is Jesus Christ. Jesus is the mediator! He is the way that all God’s blessings come to us and that our prayers make it to the Father. He is the way that we make it to heaven.

1 John 5:11-12
And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
This eternal life is in His Son. It is through Jesus Christ that we find our way to eternal life.


In Leviticus Chapter 4 God’s word tells us of the Sin offering. When someone sins they are to bring their offering which must be without defect. The Priest after sprinkling the blood will burn the offering. Now Listen to the last part of v35 “In this way the priest will make atonement for them for the sin they have committed, and they will be forgiven.”
In this way the Priest will make atonement. This Way! But that is no longer the way. We have Jesus as our Priest, and as our Lamb, and as our way.

The blood of these lambs and bulls and Goats was not what caused forgiveness for these people. It was the Faith they showed God by Obeying Him.

(Hebrews 10:4) “It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.”
The offering did not take away their sins. It was just a way to make them realize they were sinners. It was a way to make them realize they needed forgiveness and that forgiveness could only be granted by God.

(Hebrews 10:14) “because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”
Jesus is our perfect lamb and our one sacrifice. Through Him we have found a way to heaven and God.

No comments: