Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where Do We Stand?

I noticed that the movie The Golden Compass is out on DVD now. I've decided to post a letter I put in our church newsletter in February to remind everyone about this movie.
While we are on the subject of movies I want to mention that there is a movie out now that questions why scientist are punished when they question Darwin's theory of evolution. It's called Expelled.
Back in November I wrote a letter to the Jackson Sun encouraging Christians to avoid watching The Golden Compass. This is a movie based on the first book in a series by an atheist who said his purpose was to kill God in the minds of children. As expected the atheist in the community had fun insulting me, but what surprised me was a reply by a Christian.
In his letter he stated that he goes to movies for entertainment and as a Christian he was not offended by the content of this movie and that with God on our side we had nothing to worry about.
Since then I have heard that reply several times. All of them referring to ignoring sin. Okay I realize the Bible says “If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31 Had the author of that letter read a little further he would have seen Romans 12:9Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.” The Lord expects us as Christians to lead an example that will bring others to Him. We as Christians should stand against what is evil and not be afraid of being persecuted. In the end we will all be judged. I make enough mistakes I’ll have to account for. I don’t want to be held accountable for not standing against a movie that could possibly send thousands of children to Hell.
I realize in this day and age nearly every movie has questionable material in it. I’m not saying we should stop watching any movie that has violence, language or other issues. But we should stand against a movie whose author proudly proclaims his purpose was to bring children to atheism.
And my last argument against ignoring sin because God is on our side is based on a story from the book of Joshua chapter 7 about Achan’s sin. Most probably know this is the story where after several successful battles, the nation of Israel was chased from Ai by the Amorites for the sin of one person. In verse twelve the Lord says “I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to sin.”
God is only with us, if we are truly with Him.
MSW

No comments: