Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Servant Nebuchadnezzar

In Matthew 20:1-16 we have the parable of the workers. This parable is about a man who hires workers at four different times during the day. At the end of the day he pays them all the same amount. The ones who worked the longest were upset because they thought they would get more even though they had agreed to the amount they received. The owner of the vineyard showed his generosity to everyone the same. This parable isn’t really about money though. It’s about God’s gift of eternal life and how He shows His grace to those who come to Him at the end of their life, just as He does to those who come early.
I studied the book of Jeremiah last month and while I found nothing about bullfrogs or joy to the world, I did find mention of wine. (Jeremiah 25:15) If you didn’t get that joke you are making me feel old. Anyways I spent most of my time studying Jeremiah in the book of Daniel. All because of two words. Before I start let me say I believe the Bible is the Divine Word of God written by God through Man. I also feel every word was intentional and used for a reason. When I study I try to look at each word individual and see why it was used. When I saw Jeremiah 25:9 refer to My Servant Nebuchadnezzar; I had to wonder why God referred to him as His servant. No mistake about it again in Jeremiah 27:6 under the authority of My servant Nebuchadnezzar appears. Okay why is He calling Nebuchadnezzar His servant. Nebuchadnezzar is an evil man, he throw men in furnaces, (Daniel 3:11) kills children in front of their father before poking his eyes out,(2 Kings 25:7) his army bashed in the heads of babies,(Nahum 3:10) oh yeah and he encourages worship of an idol that requires them to put their children through fire. Yeah we have a real saint here. Most of the commentaries quickly say that this just shows God uses evil people to do His will. Okay that makes sense, but I’m still not ready to bite. If that is the reason then there has to be another occurrence of the words My servant talking about someone who does evil to achieve Gods purpose. There isn’t. So to see who old Neb really was I went to Daniel. Nebuchadnezzar made Daniel ruler over his kingdom and allowed Daniel to appoint his friends to offices. I believe Daniel was fond of Nebuchadnezzar. When he interpreted Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, He said “if only it were your enemies.” (Daniel 4:19) Daniel 4 is written by Nebuchadnezzar near the end of his life around 562 BC. Look how it starts in Daniel 4:1-3 "King Nebuchadnezzar, to those of every people, nation, and language, who live in all the earth: May your prosperity increase. How great are His miracles, and how mighty His wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom, and His dominion is from generation to generation." "I am pleased to tell you about the miracles and wonders the Most High God has done for me.", sounds like the beginning of a testimony to me. Now look at Daniel 4:34 “But at the end of those days, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven, and my sanity returned to me. Then I praised the Most High and honored and glorified Him who lives forever: For His dominion is an everlasting dominion. and His kingdom is from generation to generation." Now jump to Daniel 4:37 "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt, and glorify the King of heaven, because all His works are true and His ways are just. And He is able to humble those who walk in pride." That sounds like a man who has had God turn his life around.
Now back to Jeremiah 1:5 "I chose you before I formed you in the womb; I set you apart before you were born. I appointed you a prophet to the nations." God knew whether or not we would come to a saving knowledge of Jesus before long before our creation. Now look at the beauty and grace in these three words: My Servant Nebuchadnezzar. To God Nebuchadnezzar was already His servant twenty something years before he called on God. Even before we decide to confess and repent God considers us one of His own. Look back at your life and all the sins you've committed and think the day I was born God looked down and referred to me as His servant.
Heavenly Father I praise Your glorious name. Lord I thank You for all You do in my life. Father to see Your Grace and Forgiveness demonstrated in the book of Jeremiah with such simple words as My Servant. Lord it brings Joy to know that You forgave me before I even knew the mistakes I would make. Father thank You for the grace You have shown me. Father I thank You for Your Word to give encouragement. In Your Son’s Holy name in the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen

MSW

No comments: